Thursday, September 25, 2008

Toughen up


(This movie is really good especially for us women folks (sad that it didn't make the Hollywood BOxoffice)..if after watching this doens't get ur juice running and make u go to the nearest self defense class, I don't know wat else to say)

After reading a friend's blog entry about educating and training oneself with self defense skills, memories came flooding. I too had seen the insides of the police station one too many times. I'll share the story but first, just to let you know that I was trained in martial arts and competed with a gold medal to prove in sparring (back in school days). I was an athelete and I considered myself quite fit. And never have I imagined myself to be a victim of violence.

Year 1998..I was ending a relationship with my then BF of almost 1 year. I didn't think we will have a future. Because lately I realised that there was something amiss about his character that I couldn't put a finger on and all of my friends have warned me against him. I actually sacrificed my best friend-ship to be with this man. Of course I thought I was in love and that alone is enough to make me blind to his flaws (worst thing is I make excuses for him). He was a well educated man, in law no less, with a bright future ahead. He seemed sincere and serious enough to me. We talked about getting married after I finished studies bla bla bla.. I even wrote a bloody letter to my Mum about him (gosh was I so gullible, and I never talk about my love life with Mum let alone own up that I have a BF)..ok now u have a general idea of how it was going. All my friends started to stay away from me because all of them hated his obnoxiousness and most of the time I was with him.

So..cut the looong story short, I landed the axe over the phone and e rushed over to my apartment to demand explaination. He brought over the things that I gave to him and burned it. Then..he slapped me hard on the face, twice. And ran off. The only thing I can do then was to scream curses at him as he sped away. After that incident, he started stalking me, and my good (male) friend always keep me company whenever I wanted to go out. I was so scared. Even my housemate was scared. After 1 week i think he called me up and talked nicely and ask me to return all the things he gave me. I asked my friend to accompany me as my house mate was not home. My friend waited for me at the basement parking lot so as not to fuel my ex's anger. My ex got out of his car and we exchanged heated words and he shoved me against the car. Security guards started to come around and I said better to end this quickly and both of us went up to the apartment. As he waited outside, he snatched my handbag and held it as ransom. When I came back with his stuff, again I was caught off guard with a hard slap on my cheeks but this time I wasn't gonna let him get away with it without a fight. Fury came over me but all my martial art skills never came through..it was just pure adrenaline and anger. And I how was I , such a skinny tiny girl can even come close to hurt this tall and fit b#*@!rd, none of my punches landed on him. It only gave him an opportunity to kick me in the stomach and I "flew" few paces behind and hit the pillar..tried to hit me again with a video tape, but I blocked and got scraped by is steel watch. After that he ran away. I stood there shaking..and rushed back into my apartment to calm down and collect myself.

When I went down to my friend at the basement, I saw his car was rammed into..obviously by the sick b#*@!rd. The door of the passenger seat was totally crashed in. It was witness by the security guards. We went to report at the nearest Police station and the detective called that sicko in. He was interogated like a criminal..the detective really did justice to me..and it was done right in front of me. At first he was cocky and denied everything but after 1 hour he cowered down like a timid mouse. I chose not to press charges for some reasons and he agreed to pay damages. And guess what, his ambition was to become the Chief of Police! Maybe no more coz now he has a police record.

Year 2001..I was a victim of snatch thief. As I was walking just a 2 minutes away from my home in Luyang. The man was driving a pick up truck and apparently was lurking awaiting for a lone pedestrian. The lane was really quiet, not many cars pass by. I didn't even notice it was cruising behind me untill it was too late and all I saw was a hand reaching out to pull my handbag hanging on my shoulders. Mind you I was a "correct" pedestrian, I walk on the opposite side of the trafic, my bag was away from the road. He managed to grab the strap and drag away while is other hand was steering te pick up truck. I held on to my bag and because of that I fell on my back (twisted around) and was dragged on the tarmac until the strap broke. Then he stopped and looked back at me as if wanting to come our of the truck and make a grab or hurt me or something. But I screamed on top of my lungs to get my neighbours attention. Oh and this happened in broad daylight. But being in my neighbourood, who minded their own business and nobody was hanging outside, no one came to my aid. Thankfully my scream scared off the thief and he sped off.

Wat happened to me? Large piece of my skin on the back was scrapped off my the tarmac and I bruised my shoulders. I limped back home and called my aunt who brought me 1st to the police station and lodge a report then to the hospital. I was wearing only tube tops and sarong for 1 whole week.

Moral of the story..all those martial art skills I've learned didn't come in handy when I was caught off guard and overpowered. I believe now that I have to live and breathe self defense skills so that it becomes natural to me and I do not have to think to respond to my defense, not just take lessons and take things for granted. I think the best is the street fighting skills much like the one in the movie Enough will do me much better. And ladies, most of the time, our attacker will be much stronger than us. So there are specific skills that can be learned to overcome this situation. I have heard of such classes now available at Likas PLaza. I forgot the name but I will search for it, I think I've seen it's advert in Breeze magazine.

We must not take our safety for granted. It can happen unexpectedly and at the time we're at our most vulnerable. Fit or not fit, if we're mentally and technically prepared, we shall survive. Hey we don't have to fight them off to the death, just buy enough time for us to flee for safety.

13 comments:

duapulolapansen said...

takutnya ur experience..ntah2 wat i've in martial arts pun blum tentu terkeluar bla things like this happens to me too.

my one time experience to police station was when our car was hit by another when he tried to cut another on on a double line..n my son was in front in his car seat. motherly instinct i when out and scold him angerily. actually he was a foreigner..but being responsible he lodge a police report saying he hit car.

p/s: val u oeri baca about the hernia?

Val Aziz said...

aiyerr memang scary kan wen our kids in te car n ppl drive dgn bahaya..mcm mamak harimau la kau time tu?

Val Aziz said...

blum la..i've searched thru ur blog teda pun pasal hernia tu..

Ina said...

ganasnya mamat tu..if i was in ur place, ndak tau la apa jadi..

Val Aziz said...

hmm ahh kalu ko ngkali sampai la tangan mu..ee geram sia bila ingat balik mukanya tu.

Just plain Sharon said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Just plain Sharon said...

the guy who hit you should be shot to dead. there is no excuse for a guy to hit a lady. simply outrageous! Thank God you had the guts to leave that maniac and found Mr. Right. Hehehe..

Lee said...

Hi Val, really happy you popped by my place, (I got no link), and thanks for your warm thoughts.
Gosh! You sure had some nasty experiences. And that exBF of yours...guess you were in love and maybe blinded to his flaws.
And for him to touch you, glad you did away with him.

I guess in anger we tend to forget what we are taught if having learned self defence.

Val, if ever, hopefully never...should you be faced with an unexpected confrontation, i.e. having heated words with someone,
1/ take a deep breath or two,

2/ take a step or two back, and take a sideways stance, i.e. your full body is not facing him...reason you being less of a target. Its harder to hit someone who is sideways.
As well....you are at a better angle to kick him.

3/ while taking steps 1/ and 2/ you tell yourself...
THIS IS IMPORTANT.....
psyche yourself, 'I am going to kick his shin', or, 'I am going to hit his private parts'. Keep this in your mind AND FOCUS....while you try to diffuse the situation.

4/ If encounter is turning for the worse, this you will know or can sense....that he (or she) will or might strike you,....YOU....in a slow voice, make it an intimidating voice (like incik Clint Eastwood, ha ha...his "go ahead, make my day".....
If he or she raises hand, fingers pointing or gesticulating at your face....in a threatening manner...

Then, and ONLY THEN...you say, "please do not make me hurt you". (This is psychological, IT WILL make your opponent suddenly off balance for a moment...THATS WHAT YOU NEED, buying time...

At the same time, you a/ you clench your fist, b/ you relax your left leg slightly making sure your left foot is balanced....your right leg loose slightly is now poised to kick his shin. Your mind is now tuned to this action...

Look at him...watch his motions, FOCUS...if he gets aggressive, itu la dia....
With your right hand, fist in a tight ball, you let out a Kamikaze scream...LOUD!
And you hit with the back (knuckles) of your clenched fist directly to his private parts....HARD! And I mean hard!

AT THE SAME MOMENT, your right leg...you curve your foot slightly, and kick his shin with the side of your Prada court shoes or whatever...

When you hit his private parts...this he will not be expecting..YOU MUST IMMEDIATELY FOLLOW UP with the kick to his shin.

Again, he will be bent holding his private parts feeling the excruciating pain..you can use your knee, bring it up against his face...
this 3 hard blows will give you time to break the Olympic 100 yards sprint.

Remember for all the stances, various fighting techniques most people who take up self defence ...a street fight is on average less than two minutes.
One or the other will be hurt or down. Preferably not you, ha ha.

The first pre-emptive strike must be yours.

Again, in any situation...forget the various martial arts stances...take a quick look around...is there a chair, a bottle, something you can use to defend yourself?
Remember, you being a woman have every right to use something to defend your self.

In a serious encounter or confrontation...there is no such thing as the Geneva Convention, Queensbury rules or human rights..or clean fight.

Val Aziz, ALWAYS FIGHT DIRTY....its your body, your self you have to defend...
My wife can tell you how 'dirty' I can be, especially when protecting her or in an ugly situation.

I had three unfortunate ugly incidents I had to break a bottle to defend my self...against sticks and knives.
And I can tell you...nobody likes to argue with the jagged edges of a bottle.

You take care...and remember...in any situation, tell yourself first, where you going to hit him.

Incidentally...I did 2 recent postings re your this posting...
take a peek....
1/ "Lee, let me stay with you", d/d 9/7/08.
2/ My friendly persuader, d/d 9/11/08.

You stay easy and have a nice day, best regards, Lee.
ps, always fight dirty! Ha ha.

lenzaidi said...

Phew Val,
For once i tot i was reading an action packed story and i must say bravo for putting up 'lil fight' there.First your ex-bf is a cowardice, brave on your face but really he has 'lame tantalao' excuse for my lang.;-)
He was definitely an abusive b------!I m pretty sure that would have made you a better and wise person now.Dont look back,put that behind you as you have narrated well in your blog.
So rest assure boys, mum is a one tough woman here.EEEyaarrrak
Cheers bah.

Anonymous said...

Although I have seen quite a lot of happenings in the hospital, I could not help but think of your experience as something I would have only watched on television.

Our experiences should only make us wiser people, as you have turned out to be.

Guys who hit girls are chicken shit.

Val Aziz said...

Hi Lee: Great tips! Yes I found out the hard way that anger can put you off focus..the only thing in my head that particular moment was to it back no matter how. U can bet I've relived that moment and change how I'd have reacted so as to cause more hurt to him hehehe..btw he was smart enuf to cover his groin that time.

M.Len: It definitely added to my "salt". I was fine after a while, but I think my parents lagi susah hati and worried sick for me. I called to tell them what happened bcoz that jerk took my hp away..takut dia call gila2 to my parents kan.

Anna: Yes chicken shit all right. coudln't take rejection like a gentleman.

lenzaidi said...

Val,
aunty Len here.have posted my previous respond.Have you by any chance aware that this ex-bf of yours is an abusive and a true abuser?In any inkling like the way he treated you,the way he spoke to you etc way before the break off.
Never allow a man land their hands on you in whatever circumstances okay.(psst for a start never provoke ;-)

Val Aziz said...

hmm mula2 tu I oblivious to his flaws, but lama2 I seem to sense it but he never showed it. Only wen I broke up w him. Hmm ingat2 balik, he did told me he hit is ex-GF before. I now believe, once a man hits a girl, it will never stop so better stay off this kind of species, no matter wat they say. Oh after tat incident, I do try to provoke to the max my serious love interests just to be sure..then I apologize lah heheh