Friday, May 16, 2008

Local Delicacy

Had lunch at Tang Dynasty Hotel with Ms. Spiji, Mildred & Mariam. Sampling their Kaamatan Buffet which was quite ok except for their dessert. Had an intersting experience trying this local delicacy which i had years ago (eaten live!) during the Eco-Challenge party. So now i am curious how the cooked version tastes like.

(accompanied by ikan panggang)
The Butod (as what it is called in local dialect) comes from the Sagu bark..the raw ones have a milky and slightly sweet taste, a bit juicy (not unpleasant at all, except u have to get past the wiggling) while tis grilled ones tasted like fried shrimp minus the smell and the texture is similar to fried squid. Nice! It's just mind over matter ;-) There you go my dears..my Fear Factor lunch.

13 comments:

Unknown said...

Salute!! Salute! I think the last time sia makan butod was when i was probably around 5yrs. But it's no longer my cup of tea.. eeehhh.. brani juga ko.

fabmom said...

OMG!! u r a dare devil!

Mamarock said...

aiyaiyai!!! betul2 cili padi you...

theroyalmonkey said...

oh god! they really do serve that?

KaDusMama said...

Arghhhh!! Seeing butod pun like want to pengsan already. what more to eat it?? Fear Factornya!!!!!

@dR3h said...

OMG!! You actually ate that? yang fried pun I don't think I can telan inikan pulak yg still wiggling.. erkk.. terimagine pulak its moving in my stomach erkk.. My imagination is wayyyy too active to let me taste this kind of delicacy.. Hands down to you Val.. memang ko hebat..heheh

Shabbymom said...

yaiiikkkks.....memang salute kau.....hebat....

Val Aziz said...

I was just curious..Not that i'm making this particular creature as one of my staple..suffice to say that i know how it taste like. I think ada side effect later that nite my body gatal2 n my throat pun gatal. So this is one of my pengalaman yg amat interesting. But if ever i'm lost in a jungle (Nauzubillah) I know i can eat that!

Val Aziz said...

Rona: Its funny really to see a chef, complete with their 'tall hats' and apron cooking this primitive delicacy in a hotel. They also served sagu a.k.a ambuyat.

Shabbymom said...

u shud ambil gambar of the chef cooking that lil "monsters"!

Val Aziz said...

Hahah i tried Shabbymom tapi camera shy pulak the chef..

Just plain Sharon said...

you all should also salute the person who witnessed her Fear Factor stunt. Val is one gutsy lady. Sia yang kadajan ni pun ndak berani. Wakakakkak...

Val Aziz said...

Just Plain Sharon pun mau bah tu tapi malu2 ;-) The taste is quite nice..really..just don't think about it too much n look at it too long..ada juga mcm rasa bubuk goreng tapi smelly lagi bubuk, this one no smell..mcm juga rasa sotong panggang..ok bah tu Hakuna Matata lah